Wednesday 30 May 2012

Looks Like Liverpool Have Got Themselves A new Manager

Brendan "Buck" Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
Today the BBC news website and Twitter lit up with the news that Brendan "Buck" Rodgers has agreed to manage Liverpool.  There is a lot of opinions being expressed either way about this development.  Some are saying that it's a huge risk and most likely a bad move for Fenway Sports Group.  Others like myself are ecstatic, and I will explain why right now.

When Kenny Daglish was sacked, I was gutted.  I thought it was incredibly harsh on the part of FSG.  As a matter of fact I still do.  King Kenny deserved better than that.  He only finished mid table at the end of the season which in my view is a sacking offence for any manager of Liverpool, even Daglish.  But he reached two cup finals and won one of them.  Mid table or not that's worth another year, at the very least until the January transfer window.
Daglish got a bad rap, but he can take solace in the fact
that he has a dam good replacement!

Anyhoo what's done is done, so there's no point in crying about it so I decided to look to the future.  And to the future I looked.  I attentively kept an eye on the BBC sports section on the internet to see what the possibilities were.  All of the names that were brought up were absolutely disappointing.  Martinez? Crap!  Andre Villas Boas? Oh God I hope not!  Fabio Cappello? He's okay but, nah!  Frank de Boer? Now that's more like it but I'd prefer the other name up for the job!  Brendan Rodgers?  My first choice all day long!  The style he brought to his Swansea team and his sheer knowledge of the job impressed me over the entire season.  He is capable of bringing out the very best of every player under him.  Not to mention that his nickname is "Buck" Rodgers.  Now that's a name I'd like to work for!

Only two weeks ago he turned down the position, and it seemed to me that he was never going to change his mind.  There was my first choice down the crapper.  Not only that, but it seemed Martinez was surely going to land the job.  FSG sacking Daglish in favour of Martinez?  Oh come on guys, what the hell are you guys thinking?  The future I was looking so hard at seemed more bleak than ever.

I was in the mindset of preparing myself for another disappointing season when today, when I turned on the internet, I saw a news item that Brendan Rodgers agreed to work for Liverpool as manager.  Too good to be true I thought to myself.  It's probably just another rumour I thought.  I kept an eye on every update I could find on Twitter and numerous news websites.  I spent hours pouring over every word written about this until I was satisfied that it must actually be happening.

I had to include this one I found on the internet.   It tickled
me just a little bit.
It's been confirmed everywhere except from Liverpool themselves it seems.  Swansea themselves have even confirmed that he's left.  You can be sure that I'll be keeping an attentive eye on everything that transpires tomorrow.  When Liverpool make their official announcement, I'll be watching.

Until then I'll say welcome to Anfield Buck!  I know you'll be amazing and I wish you the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment